Thursday, March 14, 2013

Woodward's Garden painting: getting closer!



It's been just over a couple of weeks since my last painting session. It was great to get back to it.

I did a decent amount on it today. I corrected the angles of one of the counters, worked a bit more on the prep surface, glazed the background walls a little to darken them, added the lights and reflections from the ceiling, and tried to start working on the guy in the back corner.

Actually the guy in the back was the last thing I did today. I was having problems with it, so I asked Dean for his assistance. He didn't have an easy go at it either, and ended scraping off the paint, and starting over. :) Now that I look at it, it's clear that poor guy's head is too large. We'll work on that next week.

Also, when I showed the photo to Dick and Christopher, they both agreed that having the guy in the back corner looking forward at the viewer was creepy to them. Dean and I had considered this when we first started to discuss the painting, but I think we became accustomed to it. Although, I see how it can be distracting. So, I may have to reconsider and have the guy look straight ahead, instead of turned, and facing us.

Thoughts?

And, I will make his head smaller. I did paint the bottle of wine next to him today. Maybe he drank the whole thing, and it went to his head? ;)

Oh, and yes, there's a frame around it. Dean put it on, just to get a sense of how it would look when framed. It really finishes it off, doesn't it? (We'd use a slightly different frame, with more black than silver, but you get the gist.) So, the painting's not quite done, but it should be soon.

No comments: