Tuesday, March 05, 2013

My Day with Takada

I spent the late morning and most of the afternoon today with one of my favorite clients and friend, Takada. Takada grew up in Japan, and moved to San Francisco in the late 60s to go to Art School. He's quite an amazing man, with a fascinating background in the art world. He is a renown printmaker who has worked with an impressive list of artists.

I found out through a mutual friend that Takada is living in Tokyo for a couple of months, and that my trip out here would be overlapping with his stay. I wrote to him a few weeks back and was thrilled to hear that he was available and interested in spending a day with me.

He met me at my hotel around 10:30, and we headed out. He took me to the World Trade Center, which is in the south east corner of Tokyo, near the Bay. We went to the Observation Level on the 40th floor for a fantastic 360 degree view of Tokyo! It was a beautiful day, with little cloud cover, so we were able to see pretty far. I took several photos of the view, which shows most of the city.


Takada and Trina at the Seaside Top (The World Trade Center Observatory)


the Tokyo Tower, with Shinjuku (and the Shinjuku Park Tower where our hotel is) behind and to the right


I thought this looked like a Wayne Thiebaud street scene


The Bay with Rainbow Bridge, and the Tokyo Gate Bridge in the distance


Tokyo Towers and Tokyo Disneyland in the far distance


The Garden of Hamarikyuu, the Suminda River, and the Tsukiji Centrail Wholesale Fish Market


another view of the Bay

We took the subway down to the Shopping District of Ginza, where we did some window shopping and had a nice lunch.


the newly rebuilt Kabuki-za Theater


one of the main shopping strips in Ginza


interesting architecture in Ginza


here I am, window shopping in Ginza

It was such a treat to spend the day with Takada here in Tokyo. Thank you, Takada!

No comments: