Sunday, March 17, 2013

WGI Union City Regional

I went down to my old stomping grounds of James Logan High School in Union City last night for the WGI Regional. It was GREAT fun - I had a chance to hang out for a few hours with several old and dear friends from our color guard marching days. We had a pretty big group form of folks who had marched in the 80s and 90s. It's funny - I wasn't actually in the same guard as most of these friends (wait - I just counted! Diana is the only person out of all of these friends who I ever actually marched with!), but we all became friends after years and years of competing with each other across the country, or teaching with each other. Year after year, at one guard show or another, I absolutely love having the chance to catch up with these friends. We all share a unique history that ties us together.

Usually, the WGI Union City Regional falls on the weekend when Dick and go to North Carolina for March Madness. Two things changed this year: it seems like the regional was a week earlier, plus, Dick and I decided not to travel for March Madness this year. (We'll be going to NC in April to visit family then.) I think this was my first time back at this regional in five years.

Anyhow, what a fun evening. I arrived during the last guard in Scholastic Open, then watched all of Independent Open, Scholastic World, and Ind World. Still plenty of guards to see!

I'm hoping to make it to the local Circuit Champs show at Independence HS in early April. See you all again soon!


Many, many guard friends who marched in the 80s and 90s


James Logan HS World Guard


Jolie, Trina, Freddie and Glenn!
I lost track of how many guards we have marched between the four of us



San Jose Raider friends


with Kamryn and Diana! Saturday was Kamryn's birthday! She's a junior at Logan now, in the World Guard. Happy Birthday, Kamryn!!

No comments: