Friday, March 15, 2013

Many firsts to my routine donation of platelets


beginning the donation process


error!

I had an appt to donate platelets this morning at 10:30. I've been routinely donating whole blood for 7 years, and have been donating platelets for two.

It's generally fairly routine, but today was a day of a few firsts.

When I walked into the Blood Center, I immediately noticed the smell of baked goods! That's new. As I was checking in, I inquired and learned that instead of serving donuts, they are now offering fresh-baked cookies! Score!

I'm a sucker for a fresh-baked chocolate chip cookie. :)

I went through the interview process, had my vitals and iron level checked, and was all set up for my platelet donation. During the actual donation process, about 15 minutes into what is usually a 55 minute process, my machine's alarm sounded.

Apparently, an infiltration happened during the first return. Meaning, either the needle slipped a bit, or it hadn't been correctly centered. Because of that, the return of red blood cells, etc., that were being retuned to my body were being leaked out a bit from my vein.

My technician attempted to reposition the needle, but it was unsuccessful, and unfortunately, we had to abort the process.

Since my red blood cells were not returned, I'll need to wait at least 2-4 weeks before I can donate again.

That's too bad.

Apparently, this happens on occassion, but not often. Oh, well. There's a first for everything.

Plus, I got a cookie out of it. ;)


my treat for the day

1 comment:

lef said...

Glad you got a cookie and blog post from the experience.