Thursday, March 21, 2013

The completed Woodward's Garden Oil Painting

Horray! Today, I finished my latest oil painting!


Woodward's Garden
2013
oil on canvas
24" x 30"


I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out, and am thrilled to have it finished.

There were a lot of things to be done today before it was complete.

First things first: I worked on the faces of the two secondary figures. You might remember that the guy sitting at the corner was quite a challenge last week, and that I had issues of him facing forward. Ultimately, we decided that he was too distracting facing forward, and decided instead to having him looking to the the side (in front of him, rather than having his head turned towards the viewer). In order to do this, I asked Dean if he had any photos of a person in a similar pose, facing in the direction we needed. Amazingly, he was able to find a photo that was just perfect! I transposed the new figure's face on top of my figure's body. I think it looks MUCH better, and is no longer distracting from the rest of the painting. In person (rather than from this photo) the guy's eyes really aren't looking as much to our front as it may look.

We used another photo of another person to get more detail for the person sitting down in the background. The person sitting in my original photo barely has any detail at all, so we didn't have much to work with. I'm pleased that the new figure has just enough information without being too detailed.

I also darkened the back wall, and the painting that is hung on it. I think that helped to push the wall back a bit.

I also put a few more splashes of color and highlights throughout the painting, like on the pans, on the fruit, and on the counter.

This was a great experience and practice, as it was again very different from any of my other paintings so far. Wonder what the next painting will be?!

As usual, when I complete a painting, I'm putting photos of the progress from each session to refer back to:


The original photo


Session One


Session Two


Session Three


Session Four


Session Five


Session Six


Session Seven - Completed Painting

No comments: