Tuesday, March 19, 2013

figure drawing

Last night, I went to my first figure-drawing session in about 4 weeks. I had to miss a few due to our recent travels.

It was a very good night. The model was new to me, and was more curvaceous than most of the models we have. Curvier models are usually easier for me to draw, which was true last night.

Not sure why, but my 1 and 2 minute warm-up sketches were much larger than usual. Usually I fit four, sometimes 6 to a page. Last night I had two or three, or even just a single figure for the 2-minute sketches. I think this was because I felt looser, and was wanting to just focus on drawing continuous, (or, at least, not sketchy) contoured lines. On several of these, I started at the top, maybe with the head, and drew straight down to the feet in one motion. It was a technique I learned years and years ago when I first started drawing, but I haven't practiced it in a while. For some reason, it came more naturally last night. I think that these simple, contoured lines help lend towards more movement in the drawings.

I haven't been very good about posting picts of my drawings after each session, so I thought I should after last night's session since it has been a while. You'll see I'm including more two-minute poses here than I usually do.


one and two-minute poses


2 minute


2 minute


7 minute


10 minute


20 minute


20 minute

No comments: