Thursday, March 21, 2013

From Paintings to Notecards

Last month, I had notecards made from images of three of my recent paintings. I'm really pleased with the final product!

I had them made through Costco's photo center online: Costco Photo Center. The notecards are 4-1/4 x 5-1/2, although they also have an option for 5 x 7 cards as well. I just made a blank photoshop file in those dimensions (at 300dpi) and and sized the image of the paintings inside the blank file. This allowed me to size and place the image exactly as I would want it to look on the final card.

There were great options for these cards: You could have any words printed on either side of the inside of the card. I chose to leave them as blank notecards, figuring that would be most versatile. I was also able to put the information about each painting (size, medium, date, and even a thumbnail!) on the back of the card! nice!

The quality of the cards are really good. I was most happy with the consistency of the color of each painting. Usually, it's difficult to match up the true color of a photo or painting to print. I was pleasantly surprised that these came out pretty true to life.

And the best part?

12 notecards (plus envelopes) for $7.99.

You can't beat that.

These cards are processed online, and are then sent via USPS. They can not be picked up in the Costco warehouses. It took about a week for them to be delivered to my house.

I chose these initial three paintings just to see how the card quality would turn out. Now that I know, I'll probably make a set for each of my paintings. It's a really nice way to share the images of my paintings with friends and family, and makes for a nice keepsake. In the chance that I may actually sell any of these paintings in the future, this will be a nice way to remember them.


the three sets of notecards I had made from images of some of my recent paintings


back of the ballerina card


back of the Dolores Street card


back of the Raggedy Ann card

I had an extra set of the ballerina painting made for Sophie's Mom, Alisa. She really loved them, too. :)


photo by Alisa

No comments: