Saturday, September 25, 2010

Last Training Walk of the Season!


Today's 10.94 mile route

Today was the last Warming Hut Hotties Training Walk of the year! The San Francisco Susuan G. Koman 3-Day for the Cure 60-mile walk starts this Friday, October 1! We had a "short" 10-mile walk today, followed by a fun "Walk Luck" (pot luck) lunch at Crissy Field.

I kept thinking that it felt like the last day of school. :) The weather was just gorgeous (clear, and eventual high in the low 80s), the route was shorter and flatter than usual, the views were picturesque, and everyone was very excited in anticipation of the event coming up so soon.


Golden Gate Bridge at 7:00am


Sunrise at 7:00am

We started walking at 7:25. We had three bathroom breaks along the way (two of which being at the beautiful Argonaut Hotel, which have the nicest bathrooms that we've stopped at in SF!) and had our food break at the Ferry Building. Some of my friends and I celebrated the last walk by having yummy baked goods from Acme Bread - I had a delicious chocolate croissant. :)

We arrived back to the picnic tables at Crissy Field at 11:00, where the party had already begun! Let me tell you - the fine folks of the Warming Hut Hotties know how to eat! Everyone brought such yummy food to share. I brought homemade mango salsa, which appeared to be a huge hit.


The "Walk Luck"

The leaders of the Hotties put a lot of work every year in planning all of the training walks for the group. They put in even more work at the end of the year creating and assembling goodie bags for all of the members. The Hotties are known for their fuzzy deeleeboppers that they proudly wear on the heads during all of the walks. They were included in the bags, along with other fun things for the walk.

I am not an official member of the Hotties because I joined my friend Carol's team "Dancers Fighting Cancer". There are three of us on this team: Carol, Melissa and me. Carol and Melissa both live in the South Bay, making it difficult for us to train together regularly. Carol was the one who had suggested that I do training walks with the Hotties since I live in San Francisco, and she had joined them for a couple of training walks over the past couple of years. Everyone in the Warming Hut Hotties have done an amazing job of making everyone feel so welcome, and part of the team, even though some of us are officially on other teams. I'm so glad that I joined them on all of these training walks over the last couple of months. I've met so many inspiring and amazing people, who I consider my friends now, and I'm looking forward to walking in the big event with them next week!


Hotties with their deeleeboppers


Judy, Lizelle, Sandra, Tanzeem, Catriona and Monica

I can't believe that we've finished our last training walk, and that the big event is coming up so soon! Very exciting! :)

No comments: