Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Billie Joe's Broadway Debut!!


Billie Joe as St. Jimmy!
photo from this webpage..

The show was AMAZING!! Billie Joe was AMAZING!!

The crowd went nuts at the very beginning of the show when the announcer said, "The role of St. Jimmy will be performed tonight by Billie Joe Armstrong".

WOO HOO!!!

This is the third time I've seen American Idiot in just over a year. (Hi, I am a groupie.) I've always like the show, but I do notice that I like it more each time I see it. I noticed a few small changes that they made here and there, and a few of the cast members have changed since they opened on Broadway.

Billie Joe in the role of St. Jimmy was simply perfection.

Here's the thing: I love the actor (Tony Vincent) who usually plays the role of St. Jimmy. He is memorizing, and it's just such a great character.

But, seeing Billie Joe in the role was a whole other story. This is his alter ego, so of course he's a natural in the role. The crowd went absolutely nuts when he first appeared singing "St. Jimmy". WOW!!!

Now, of course, there are no cameras or recording devices allowed during the performance. I understand that - my sister works in theater! :)

However, after the the final curtain call, the curtain went back up showing all of the cast members and Billie Joe each holding a guitar. Billie Joe started strumming the beginning of "Time of Your Life", and sang the first verse, and was eventually joined by the rest of the cast.

This was phenomenal!

At this point, the professional camera men had made their way down the aisles down towards the stage and everyone (and I mean everyone) had their cameras out taking photos. I confess, I had to join in. I couldn't miss this opportunity.

My photos aren't very good. They are a little blurry, but you get the gist.





I found a few professional photos online at this webpage. These are so much better than mine.





Finally, here's a little video I took of the curtain call.



I'm so glad that Sharon and I were able to fly out to NY for our crazy 1-day adventure! Seeing Billie Joe in the show was absolutely worth all the money, frequent flyer miles, time planning, stress and lack of sleep!

It really was an experience of a lifetime!

No comments: