Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Hey!! That's MINE!

This morning, I was perusing through my regular internet sites... Facebook, Twitter, MSNBC.com, sfgate.com, etc.,

When I was on the sfgate.com site, I saw a headline at the top titled "More Schoolhouse Rock!"

Well, Schoolhouse Rock Rock fan that I am, I clicked on the link, and here's what I found:



My first thought:

"Hey, that looks really familiar!"

quickly followed by:

"HEY! That's my animation cel!"

Way back when, in August, 2003, when my little blog was less than a month old, I wrote this post about one of my favorite animation cels, and how I came to own it.


the scan that I took of my animation cel 13 years ago, before I had it framed

Well, it appears as if someone did an internet search for Schoolhouse Rock, or Schoolhouse Rock animation, and came across my post, and copied the image of my cel! I can tell it's my cel because I know it so well, and I also recognized the slight imperfections caused by the slight waves in the celluloid pages when I scanned it in.

I suppose that's what happens when you post images to the net - anyone can have access to it.

I suppose I don't mind at all that they used my image (it *is* a great one) but boy, was it weird to click on a random link on my local news site and see an image of the very animation cel that hangs right above the desk in my office!

The one thing that was a bit disconcerting was noticing how much more vibrant the colors are in the original image off my old blog post. I've had this animation cel for about 13 years now, and although I've kept it out of direct sunlight, and it has UV plexiglass, it appears as if some of the color has faded over the years. That's a bummer. I may have to move it to a room without any windows, but honesty, it makes me happy every time I look up at it in my office. I suppose that's the price to pay for keeping something out and enjoying it, rather than keeping it tucked away safely in a dark place.


a bad photo (bad lighting and behind plexi) of the same animation cel today.

I suppose it's also a bit disconcerting that the title of the blog that used the image of my cel is called "The Poop". (Apparently, it's a baby blog.)

1 comment:

Paula said...

The other thing to consider is the lighting in the room - unflitered light bulbs can be just as damaging as sunlight...let me know if you want some archival product links.....