Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Why am I walking? Because I can.

Only 16 days left until the big 3-Day for the Cure event!

I'm getting pretty excited about it. Hard to believe that it's coming up so soon, but I'm also feeling great about my training and fund-raising progress.

During my training walks, I've had plenty of conversations with other walkers about the reasons why they are walking.

Everyone has a different reason for participating in this walk. I've met some people who are Breast Cancer survivors, some who are currently battling this disease, some who are walking because they have lost loved ones or friends to Breast Cancer, some who are marking a major milestone in their lives, and others who are doing it just because they can.

I fall into that last category. I've been fortunate enough to not have anyone close to me die from Breast Cancer. Yet. I know the time will come. I have friends who have have battled Breast Cancer, other forms of Cancer, Lymphoma, AIDS, and other terrible diseases. Some are in remission. Some didn't survive. All of them went through terrible ordeals.

I've gone through my own medical problems, which started 14 years ago. There was a time when I was more than uncertain about my future and my own physical limitations. My condition has been stable for many years, for which I am very grateful. I do not take my ability to function on a day-to-day level for granted.

I have never participated in any kind of event like this before. I don't run, and often thought of these types of events more as marathons that I couldn't participate in.

My friend, Carol started participating in the 3-Day for the Cure 3 years ago. I sponsored her for the first two years, and last year decided to cheer her on at one of the designated cheering stations along the route. I walked with her along Ocean Beach for a few short blocks. That was all it took - it was at that moment that I decided that this was something I wanted to do.

I was so inspired that day by Carol, and by the dozens of other women and men that I saw walking that day. I was equally inspired by the other people who were cheering on the walkers.

I realized that this was something I could do. I am physically capable of walking a long distance. I also knew that this was a cause worth supporting, and that I have a wonderful network of friends and family who would support me in this endeavor.

I just read this blog entry from another walker on why she is walking.

Here is an excerpt that I particularly loved:

We all have our own personal reasons for walking in the 3-Day, some similar, some very different, but for many of us, the most important reason is we walk because we can. We are physically able and don’t take that for granted. We feel grateful that we can put one foot in front of the other, and do what in all honesty is simply an amazing and unfathomable accomplishment. We feel blessed by however far our bodies are able to carry us, and are honored to walk in the place of those who can’t. And for us, walking is our way of fighting breast cancer, even during those times when we feel utterly helpless. Walking is action in support of our cause.

I walk because I can, and I believe that everything we do can, and will make a difference.

Thanks again to my friends and family who have supported me in so many ways in this endeavor. The journey has already been amazing, and there's still so much more to come!

No comments: