Friday, September 10, 2010

Busted Water Heater



I was going to start this post by stating, "Ah, the joys of owning a 100+ year old house", but then I realized that this issue had nothing to do with the age of our house.

The water heater for the top floor (that's Her condo, for those of you keeping track) kerbusted this morning. I heard a strange noise all morning in the dining room (which is right above where the hot water heaters are in the basement) but neither Dick nor I were quite on the ball well enough to check the basement until this afternoon. The tank was leaking, but luckily, not too bad. We don't keep anything in that part of the basement, so no damage. (Note to self: when you hear a strange noise in the dining room or kitchen, always check the basement immediately!)

Apparently, hot water heaters generally have a life-span of 7-10 years. Who knew? I always assumed it would be longer.

I'm looking through my files, and see that I got the current hot water heater in January, 2002 - about 8-1/2 years ago. I suppose it was time.

Dick checked Yelp for reviews on good plumbers to use. We ended up using "Friendly Plumber". They came out within an hour to give us an estimate, and will return tomorrow morning at 10:00 to install the new unit.

This is one of those times when it's very convenient to own two condos. Two condos mean two hot water heaters. That means that when one breaks, we can still use the shower in the other condo. No harm, no foul.

No comments: