Saturday, June 22, 2013

DCI West at Stanford

For the second year in a row, I managed to get down to Stanford for the DCI West show! It was a TON of fun. For me, the evening is really about seeing old friends, catching up, and watching a few shows along the way.

My Gay Boyfriend joined me for his very first live Drum Corps show. He was a real trooper (pun not intended!) and said he really enjoyed it.

We met up with Carol, Laura and Jodi first at Nola's in Palo Alto for drinks and dinner. From there, we drove over to Stanford Stadium, and arrived early enough to catch the first corps. I really enjoyed the Vanguard Cadets, Blue Devil B and especially Blue Devil C this year! Vanguard Cadets and Blue Devil B were both very impressive. They were both quite large (Vanguard Cadets had over 40 in the guard!), and I was impressed with the guard work and achievement in both groups. Blue Devil C was especially entertaining with their "Route 66" show. Some of their kids are so young (well under 10, I'm guessing) but they were performing their hearts out. I especially loved the Greased Lightning drum solo!


Laura, Carol, Trina, Spencer and Jodi enjoying a little Drum Corps
photo by Laura Bratt


After the first three corps, there was a sizable break, during which we decided to stretch our legs and look for guards warming up. Since I have several friends teaching at Vanguard this year, it was the obvious place to go. I'm so happy that I did! It was one-stop friend finding! I tried to make it a point to take photos with each of my friends that I found. There were a few people that I hadn't seen in YEARS, so it was especially great to see them. (Philip, sorry - I didn't get a photo with you and Jonathan!)


Trina, Johnny and Ray O.!
Johnny and Ray taught me in Kingsmen '91, and we are all State Street Review Alumni



Sal Salas - one of my most favorite people in the entire World. xo


Freddie Bateman!!
Freddie later introduced me to a friend, and told her that "Trina is our glue. She keeps all of us together." I love that.


Unfortunately, I was a little too busy socializing, so I missed the three corps after the break: Mandarins, Pacific Crest and Blue Knights.

I made it back for Carolina Crown, for which I'm very glad. I LOVED their show. No really, I really LOVED it. They are doing a production of "Einstein on the Beach" which I was always loved. I thought their production was so beautiful, so fresh, and so well designed. It was especially apropos to watch their show with Carol, who marched in Erte '85. :)


Carolina Crown

Next up was the Santa Clara Vanguard, and their production of Les Miserables. Now, my first reaction when I heard their theme was "Les Miz? They can't do Les Miz! Cadets of Bergen County did a Les Miz show back in 1989, and it's one of my all-time favorites! Then, I realized that 1989 was 24 years ago (eek!), and well, that's longer than any marching member of any drum corps has even been alive. *sigh*. So, I'm old, and I was very happy to see Vanguard's rendition of Les Miz. Loved the guard (and corps) uniforms, and looking forward to see how it progresses over the season!


Santa Clara Vanguard

The Concord Blue Devils were last to compete. They are doing their rendition of "Rite of Spring" - another piece of music that I'm familiar with thanks to my years in Winter Guard. :) My sister (and many other friends) marched in The Miller's Blackhawks in 1989 when they did their rendition of "Rite of Spring". Fun to see another interpretation of it.


the Blue Devils

So, the truth of the matter is that I'm generally not a huge drum corps fan. Before last year, I hadn't been to a show in well over a decade. I enjoy the shows well enough, but they usually last too long for me, which is only because I have a short attention span. However, I was pleased to realize that I thoroughly enjoyed the show Saturday night. I literally enjoyed every performance that I saw! I also fully acknowledge that it's really awesome to hear live drums and horns, and to watch a well trained guard. So glad I was able to go.

After the show, we left our seats before retreat, and were able to find some more friends!


Trina, Laura, Mike, Carol and Jolie!
Jolie told me to make a peace sign, since I'm Asian...(what?!)



I was so happy to run into Luis and Diana!!


Adrian Bazua!! So happy to see you again!!

What a fun night it was. I can't remember the last time I had that much fun at a drum corps show. Saturday's show was only the second competition of the season. Best wishes to all corps for a fun and successful season! Can't wait to see how you all progress!

Special thanks to Laura Bratt for organizing tickets and dinner for us. xo

No comments: