Friday, June 07, 2013

Island Breeze Luau

The Fabulous Tina also arranged for us to attend a Luau tonight! We all knew going in that it would probably be a little cheesy, but we also thought it would be a super fun thing to do as a group together. :)

The luau was at the Courtyard Marriot, which was about 45 minutes away. We went there directly from our Spa Day at the Fairmont Orchid, so we were able to enjoy our time there to the fullest.

The luau turned out to be super fun! They had some class/demonstrations (hula lessons, crafts, and fire dancing!) at the beginning. I took a quickie lesson from Tony, the Fire Spinner. He was terrific! He started slowly, showing me how to spin, and when he saw that I had that done, he said, "Oh, you can spin!", and started showing me more advance stuff (no fire, mind you). It was so much fun. We did all kinds of fun stuff: fishtail, behind the back catch, tosses, etc., It was a blast, and he was fun.

They also had temporary tattoos, which I think are tempura ink, so they'll wash right off.

The food was not bad - not the best Hawaiian food that I've ever had, but not bad at all. The selection was really nice with a lot of fish, and of course Kalua Pork! :)

The show was really pretty great. It was one of the better ones that I've seen for sure. Pretty traditional, and well done. I've only been to one luau before (my first time to Hawaii, with my family, when I was about 12 years old). I've seen several Hawaiian Shows since then, but I thought this one was quite good.

I leave tomorrow afternoon, so this was my last night here with everyone. It was a really fun way to spend our last evening as a full group together.


































this is the professional group photo that we took when we arrived. We bought one copy, which I'll scan when I get home, but in the meantime, here's a picture of the picture

No comments: