Monday, June 17, 2013

2013 Immediate Impact Walk Fundraising Letter

Dear Friends and Family,

It's that time of the year again! For the fourth year in a row, I will be
participating in a multi-day Breast Cancer walk in San Francisco. The 2013
Immediate Impact Walk will be held Friday, October 18th through Sunday,
October 20th. I will once again be walking 55-miles over the course of
three days - up, down, and all around our beautiful city of San Francisco.

Last year, I was very proud to be a participant in the Inaugural Immediate
Impact Breast Cancer Walk (http://www.immediateimpactwalk.org). We were a
small, but mighty team of 24 walkers and 8 volunteer support staff, and
we raised a total of $110,519! Each of our three local beneficiaries
received a check for $30,000. Each organization has pledged that 100% of
the grant monies received from our event will go straight into client
services or to fund programs ­ not toward administrative expense.

I'd like to share a very special video with you. This is a video of Linda
Imlay (founder of the Immediate Impact Walk, Board Chair of "In Our
Lifetime", 13-year walker, and a dear friend of mine). Linda was asked to
speak at a fundraiser luncheon for one of our beneficiaries (Friend to
Friend) last October, a month after our 2012 event. I think Linda's speech
really captures the spirit of our walk and of our team. Please take a few
minutes to watch it:
http://trinachow.blogspot.com/2013/06/lindas-speech-from-friend-to-friend.h
tml
. (Make sure to watch it to the very end - You'll see the most amazing
example of spontaneous generosity that I've ever witnessed and I promise,
it will warm your heart.)

As you can imagine, we are all very proud of the work that we did last
year, the money that we raised, and the impact that we made in our own
community. YOU helped us do that. Last year, with the generous support of
my friends and family, you helped me raise $14,620! Thank you!

Our three Bay Area Beneficiaries remain the same as last year: Breast
Cancer Emergency Fund, Charlotte Maxwell Complimentary Clinic and Friend
to Friend Fund - Partners in Care at UCSF Mt. Zion. Each of these
wonderful organizations provide services and funds to low-income and
under-served people living with breast cancer.

We have added a National Beneficiary this year: METAvivor Research and
Support. METAvivor is the only national nonprofit focused on metastatic
disease. Funds granted will be directed to the Research Program.

We are very proud to partner with these organizations and support their
vital work! To learn more about the services and programs these
organizations provide, please visit the Beneficiaries page of our website
(http://www.immediateimpactwalk.org/impact/beneficiaries2012.asp).
Our goal is a minimum of 80% of donations will be granted to our
beneficiaries.

* 10% of donations for Event Expenses (insurance, permits, snacks,
vehicles, etc.)
* 10% of donations for In Our Lifetime (as prudent reserve)
* 10% of donations granted to our national beneficiary organization
* 70% of donations granted to the three Bay Area beneficiary organizations

This Saturday, I joined my team for our first training walk of the season.
We walked 8 miles around the Presidio in San Francisco. We are about 18
weeks out from this year's event, and will train almost every weekend
until the event in mid-October. This weekend, I plan to walk another 10
miles on Saturday, followed by another 12 miles the following weekend. I
generally train 6-10 miles during the weekdays on my own. Last year, I
trained more than 250 miles before the event with my team, in addition to
the miles I trained on my own.

So far, we have about 30 people signed up to walk and crew for the 2013
Immediate Impact Walk. We are hoping to spread the word, and sign up
additional participants over the next few months. Our team fundraising
goal for the 2013 Immediate Impact Walk is $150,000. If you are interested
in joining us this year, please let me know!

I've set my personal fundraising goal for the year at $10,000. Although we
were able to exceed that impressive amount last year, it's still an
intimidating goal that I will work very hard to meet. I have already had
two fundraising events, and have a couple of others planned (my next
glassybaby fundraiser will be Saturday, July 13th in the Presidio!). With
the generous support of my friends and family, I know we can do this
together!

With that in mind, I am writing to ask you for your support. Please help
me to raise my goal of $10,000. Any amount is appreciated, and no amount
is too big or too small. If you are unable to donate, that¹s okay, too - I
appreciate your support in any way that you are able to give it.

Please follow the link below to visit my personal fundraising Web page and
make a donation.
http://www.immediateimpactwalk.org/impact/participantpage.asp?fundid=1776&u
id=3132&fkroledescid=5


As you can see, I'm already off to a good start! I had a glassybaby
fundraiser in December which raised over $350
(http://trinachow.blogspot.com/2012/12/glassybaby-fundraiser-event.html) ,
and the WGI Snark Jar Fundraiser which raised almost $900 (
http://trinachow.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-finch-files-feature-immediate.htm
l
)! If you participated in either of those early fundraisers, I thank you
very much. Please don't feel any pressure to donate more, but if you feel
so inclined, it is always appreciated!

Walking 55 miles in 3 days is still a daunting task, and it will take a
lot of time and work to train my body to be ready for the challenge. I am
once again positive that with your support and encouragement, I will make
it through another amazing season!

Thank you for your support and consideration.

With Gratitude,
Trina Chow

** Please ask your employer if they will double your donation with a
matching gift. Last year the total of the Matching Gifts we received was
almost 10% of the total donations.

*** I¹ll be keeping regular blog posts of each of my training walks, as
well as news, and when I reach major fundraising milestones. You can see
these posts as well as the posts from the 2012 season here:
http://trinachow.blogspot.com/search/label/Immediate%20Impact%20Walk

**** Please let me know if you would rather not be included on this email
list in the future.



No comments: