Thursday, June 07, 2012

Oil Painting Class: Session 2


Day 2 progress


the model and her portrait

Today was session 2 of my Oil Painting Class. As I mentioned in a post last week, it's been 18 years since I last painted in oil, and I really wanted to get back into it. I found out recently that my friend and very talented artist, Dean, offers lessons, so I signed up to learn from him.

So far, it's been a fantastic experience! Dean begins each of our sessions going over what are probably very basic painting techniques (today was brush types, light and shadow value system, consistency, etc.,). All of these things you would assume I would have known and learned from previous instructors (I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts from the San Francisco Art Institute) but I never did! I think I had more of a "loosey-goosey" painting instruction background. I'm really happy to be learning such basics from Dean, which will surely help me in all of my painting and drawing!

I spent about 2-1/2 hours with Dean in his studio today, and progressed further on the painting that we started last week. It's coming along slowly but surely. I like being able to see the progress from each session.

Today, I worked mostly on the face, background and shadow. I also made some general corrections to the proportions and outline of the figure. Next week, I will probably be working on the dress and apron.

One of my favorite parts about today's session is that I realized that I got lost in "the zone". I completely lost track of time, and didn't realize how long I had been there until I looked at my watch and realized it was time to go. (I love it when that happens!) Dean had also put out a spread of chips and salsa (very yummy!) but I was too into my painting to take a break and snack (which never happens - I can always make time for chips and salsa!). It was a great feeling!

My little Volland Raggedy Ann really seems to enjoy the weekly outings. She'll be heading out at least 2 more times, I imagine.

No comments: