Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Figure Drawing Session #2

Yesterday evening, I attended my second Life-Drawing drop-in session. I had a GREAT time! Last week, I had gone on a Wednesday evening, this week, I went on Monday. It's a different crowd each night, and I really enjoyed the group that is there on Monday evenings. It's a fun group, with lots of laughs and jokes. My kind of crew. :)

The model last night was again fantastic. I've heard that this studio is known for having good quality models, and so far, it rings true.

I was pleased that my drawing skills seemed to be decent again last night, and I do think I've loosened up even from last week. I'm pretty happy with the progress so far, and the final products that came out of last night's sessions. More than anything, I was reminded of how happy drawing can make me. :)

We again warmed up with a few 1 minute poses, then a few of each 3, 7, 10 and 20 minutes.

Between the 10 minute poses and the 20 minutes, we take a break (perhaps 15 minutes or so) and everyone retreats to the kitchen. Michael, who runs the studio offers hot tea, lemonade and fresh baked goods to everyone during the break! I''m telling you, this is my kind of place! :) Last night, he treated us with fresh, warm gooey brownies. Yum. During the break, there was also good conversation about Wes Anderson films, scary movies and jokes.

In an effort to stay accountable for my dive back into art, here are most of my drawings from last night's session.


3-minute poses


one 3-minute pose and one 7-minute pose


7-minute pose


7-minute pose


10-minute pose


10-minute pose


20-minute pose


20-minute pose


brownie break!

As I mentioned earlier, I dropped into the session, knowing that there was a space available. Michael's studio runs on a 22 week session, and this week is the last week of the session. The next session starts the week of July 8th. I think I will plan to sign up for the next 22 session on Monday evenings.

In the meantime, there may be sporadic sessions available in the weeks leading up to the next session, but they will not be routine, as most people will be on a break. I'm hoping to make it in a couple of times before July.

No comments: