Monday, June 18, 2012

Figure Drawing: Week 4

Tonight was my fourth session of non-instructional figure drawing. I'm still really enjoying it.

At this point, I'm fairly comfortable with my results but I'm also recognizing that it's probably about time for me to venture outside of my comfort zone and start experimenting some more. I used to love drawing with charcoal sticks, and I haven't quite gotten to the point where I'm comfortable with that again. I also want to start experimenting with color and other mediums. (I did rediscover my 6B extra soft charcoal pencil tonight - that made me happy. Must get some more of those little guys.)

This is probably the issue when choosing a non-instructional session versus an instructed one. I'm not sure how far I can advance on my own accord without guidance.

So, I'm putting it out there to my art friends - I think I may be ready for a critique session. Any helpful, tips, pointers or constructive criticisms?

For reference, I just looked at a bunch of drawings that I did about 18 years ago from my online drawing portfolio. I guess my style hasn't changed much since I took a break (which I think is a good thing) but clearly, I need to get a better handle on lights and darks again. Oh, and I'm super rusty on faces, hands and feet. I need to remember to either crop them out, or just get better at them. ;)

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the work I'm doing now, but I think I'm missing a little bit of the social aspect of sharing the work with others. I don't think it's kosher to walk around and view the other artist's work in these sessions that I'm taking, and that used to really help me in the past to think outside of my box and experiment.

Thoughts? Guidance? Friendly advice?

On a side note: I became reacquainted with the former Dean of the San Francisco Art Institute, where I used to go to School. I believe he is retired now, but he told me that he's back at the school to teach a summer course this year. Someone had said something about the drawing studios at SFAI tonight, and the person who owns the studio mentioned that a former Dean was there with us tonight. I told him that I had graduated from SFAI in 1996, and he said he thought he recognized me. :) He could be making it up, just being polite, but it was a small school, so I suppose it's possible. :)

Anyhow, it's some pieces from tonight's session. I didn't include all of them, just a good sampling.

Oh, and by the way, in case you're wondering (like Dick was) the model does have hair, but it's very short. She's African American, and quite svelte.


2 min warm up


2 min warm up


7 min


7 min


7 min


10 min


20 min


20 min

For tonight, anyway, my sweet spot seems to be the 7 minute poses. I'm pretty happy with those, but I really want to get more proficient at the 20min poses again (and longer).

No comments: