Monday, July 08, 2013

Wasps be gone!

Well, after yesterday's post about the Wasp nest in the outdoor light fixture on my bedroom balcony I got a lot of comments from my friends and my sister that really, all I needed to do was get a can of Wasp Raid, and spray the suckers down. I didn't know that my sister and her boyfriend had a wasp nest a couple of years ago, so she was able to tell me about their experience. She was just as freaked out about it as I was, but in the end, it all turned out fine.

I still wasn't entirely convinced though, so I called my exterminator this morning. The rep was really nice. Basically she said that their calendar was booked for the next 3 weeks, but if the nest was small, it was something that I should be able to do myself. (She was very nice about it, and not condescending at all.)

So, off I went to Wallgreens. I bought a bottle of Raid for Wasps. Dick was totally up for it when I told him this evening. He put on a coat, a hat, and a scarf (because I made him) just in case a wasp got loose and went after him.

It was all pretty simple. He opened the door, pointed the can towards the nest, gave a quick spray, and BOOM, 6 wasps fell down, DEAD.

The only bad thing is that it seems this toxic stuff has a lot of oil in it, so it'll probably stain our deck. First World Problem. (I had meant to lay down newspaper, but in the excitement of it all, I forgot!) There are worse things. I'm sure it'll be fine. Turns out the Raid was really liquidly, so it was pretty messy. Somehow, I was expecting it to be more foam-like. Don't know why.

We're supposed to wait 24 hours before we take down and destroy the nest. That will happen tomorrow evening.


Dick, the Killer of Wasps!


Dead Wasps

No comments: