Sunday, July 07, 2013

Eek! Wasp nest outside my door!

Here's a new one for this urban girl: I found a wasp nest nestled inside a light fixture on my balcony. I was just about to open the door to see what the weather was like outside when I noticed a wasp flying nearby. I watched the wasp as it went inside the light fixture, and that's when I noticed the nest being built inside.

EEK!!

You may know that I hate bugs. I especially hate bugs that bite or sting. I have bad reactions to mosquito bites - just imagine how badly I might react to a wasp sting!



You can see the wasp nest in the photo above. I realize it's not very big - probably about 2" in diameter, but still... I ain't taking any chances here. We've seen about 4-6 wasps going in and out (or around) the nest, and they're not leaving. We thought that if we turned the light on, that the heat from the light bulb would cause them to leave, but no luck. They're here to stay.

I found a company on line that specializes in removing live bees nests, wasps, etc., I gave them a call, and left them a message. Hopefully, they'll be able to come in the next couple of days.

I'm not fooling around here. I'm calling in the pros.

It's funny - both Dick and my Dad both had the same reaction when I told them about it: Just buy a can of Raid, and spray them. It'll be fine.

Really? and then what? What if it doesn't work? What if it just pisses them off? And if you do manage to kill them, what do you do about the nest? How could this possibly go wrong?!

Both my Dad and Dick even told me that the pro exterminator will probably laugh at me when they see the size of the nest.
I don't care. They can laugh all they want, and I'll still be happy to give them my money!

Even funnier: my Mom had the same reaction as I did:
Don't mess with this. Call in a pro. Have them take care of it. :)

So, I'm going to listen to women's intuition here.

I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, no one is allowed onto the deck.

No comments: