Wednesday, July 17, 2013

15 more jars of Plum Jam...

Last night, Dick and I cooked the second batch of plum jam from the bounty of plums that we had picked the evening before. The harvest that we picked Monday night turned into 14 jars of jam on Monday and another 15 jars on Tuesday.

To date (so far) this season:

53 12oz. jars of jam
45 pounds of fresh plums
26 boxes of 1.75oz. Pectin
20+ pounds of Sugar

Oh, my! Mind you, all of this in the last 2-1/2 weeks. The first harvest and batch of jam that we made this year was on June 30th. I ran out of pectin last night and had to run to the store to buy another box (and another 6 boxes for the next batch). I'm pretty sure we have at least 2-3 more batches (of fruit that we can access) on our tree in the backyard. I'm going to need to buy more jars (I had bought 84 jars last month in preparation of Plumpocalypse!) and more pectin.

Here are some photos from last night's Jammapalooza:


As we were sorting, this one cracked me up, and (I thought) was photo-worthy.
Since we had picked the fruit the evening before, then left half of it sitting on our counter for a day, some of the fruit continued to ripen and split in the bowl. This was one of them. Add that to the three spots (which normally, would cause this plum to be in the "reject compost pile", and all I saw was a Happy Plum face! I was going to copost it, but after I took the photo, I just peeled off the skin (and spots) and added it to the pot.



getting the cooked plums to a simmer


the plums turn a very pretty red when cooking, especially after we add the 8 cups of sugar


hot, boiling plum jam! eek!


Another 15 jars of plum jam!

No comments: