Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Fibrous Papule

I'm at the dermatologist right now. I had a Fibrous papule on my nose (I noticed it for the past several months, didn't know what it was, and thought I should have it checked on). They just sliced it off to send in for biopsy. Should be fine. I have a band aid on my nose now.

Here's some info I found on the web:
(What are Fibrous Papules? from wisegeek.org)

Fibrous papules, or angiofibromas, are small benign bumps on the skin that do not change in appearance throughout a person’s lifetime. These small spots are usually flesh-colored and may resemble a mole. The most common location for a fibrous papule to develop is on the face, especially on and around the nose. Most papules appear late in adolescence or during early adulthood, and bumps that suddenly appear later in life should be promptly evaluated by a medical professional. Treatment is not necessary unless removal is desired for cosmetic reasons.

The majority of fibrous papules develop as a singular lesion. When multiple papules form at the same time, it is often part of systemic condition such as tuberous sclerosis or multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1. Diagnosis usually occurs after a visual inspection and biopsy of the bump. Biopsy results will indicate an increase in blood vessels in the dermis of the skin and underlying fibrous stromal tissue.

Fibrous papules often resemble other, more serious lesions that require medical treatment. Reddish bumps may indicate the spots are caused by adenoma sebaceum, and their presence should lead to a screening test for tuberous sclerosis. Another form of lesions that are similar in appearance are called Koenen tumors, and any bumps of this type require medical treatment. Basal cell carcinomas may look similar as well, but grow much faster than the benign spot. A healthcare professional should assess any quickly growing or changing bump on the skin.



you can't really see it in this photo (which I really did take at the derm office right before the procudure!), but the fibrous papule is on the lower left side of my nose (right side, as you look at the photo). Not the prettiest photo I"ve ever taken. ;)

No comments: