Monday, April 15, 2013

The thing about Tulips...

I bought this lovely bouquet of tulips Friday morning. I got them at Costco (of course) where they had their florist on site giving helpful tips on each type of flower.

I was told that tulips (and other bulb flowers) should NOT be trimmed before being put in a vase. If you trim them (as I always have) the flowers will open much sooner, and the lifespan of the cut flower will be shorter. Who knew?

I was also told not to give it any extra food, and not to put a penny in the water. (I had been told before that a penny would help the stems stand straighter.)

Also, keep only a couple inches of water in the vase. Otherwise, the leaves will become corroded. (This one, I knew.)

The result:
It's been three days since I bought these tulips, and they still look fantastic! They are just now starting to open a bit, and their stems are nice and strong.

Good tips to know.

No comments: