Thursday, April 04, 2013

Moving on to my next painting: Chinatown Treasure Hunt

Onwards to the next painting!

I'm really excited about this next painting! I got started on it today, but again, it's in its early, early stages. Today was the day to draft it out on the canvas, and to broadly block in some color. It's super blocky and patchy, but it's a start!

Here's the original photo that I'm basing the painting on:

photo by Miguel Ulloa

The original photo was taken by the ever-so-talented Miguel. He took this photo the night we did the Chinese New Year Treasure Hunt. The photo shows Dick and Christopher looking for one of the clues in an alley in Chinatown. I love the photo, and the effects that he created in Instagram. I thought that it would make a captivating photo.

...and here's the early stages, very patchy beginnings...



The only major change I'm making to the original is that I'm changing the angles of the two walls in the foreground. Dean said that even though they show as angled in in the photo, it wouldn't translate well in a painting. Instead, I'm skewing the two angles to make them perpendicular to the ground, which will be easier on the eye when looking at a painting. Interesting.

Will be fun to see how this one progresses. Stay tuned!

No comments: