Thursday, April 11, 2013

Chinatown Painting: Second Session

I had another great painting session with Dean this afternoon. This was my second session on the Chinatown painting that we started last week.

Dean suggested that I start with the central figures - start working on the shapes of them, then make my way out from there. I tried to unify the colors and tones first. I painted mostly in monochrome early on, then started adding more color towards the end.

I think I defined the shapes of the overall painting a lot more today. It's much easier to read now.

Stylistically, I like the way things are shaping up so far. A little different than what I've done before. I think it's a lot looser. The figures have very little detail, but I did some white highlights of the lights hitting them, and I think that helped make them a lot more three dimensional. There's really not much detail in them, but I like the way they look.


Chinese New Year Treasure Hunt Painting, week 2


Detail of the figures

No comments: