Sunday, September 16, 2012

Shattered iPhone

Okay, let me start this post by saying that I had made the decision earlier this week that I was *not* going to buy a new iPhone 5 immediately. I decided that I would wait a few weeks, talk with my friends who were getting them, read the reviews, etc., I have a iPhone 4, which I've had for over two years and it's still working pretty well. The only issues I'm having with it is the battery life (pretty major, I know, but it usually gets me through the day) and that my home button doesn't always work well. It usually takes a few times of pressing it before it recognizes how it should work.

So, yeah - wasn't it a huge rush. In fact, I was a little proud of myself for not being such an Apple Fanboy that I didn't feel the need to pre-order, or run out to the store on the first day.

So, now that I've prefaced the story, here's what happened yesterday:

I had just finished my 12-mile training walk around noon, and was fishing my car keys out of my backpack. I was balancing my iPhone on my backpack, and it fell flat on ground in the parking lot. When I picked it up, I cut my fingers on the shattered glass of the backside of the phone. Bummer. I should add here that I drop my phone a lot, and have always been mildly surprised that it never broke. Until now.

Here's what was running through my head at this point: dilemma! What to do? I use my phone every day (more than I'd like to admit) and couldn't wait a couple of weeks to replace it with a new iPhone 5. Plus, the pre-sales were already sold out, and who knows how long I'd have to wait in line for them. (I actually thought the release date for the iPhone 5 was Friday, Sept 28th, which is the first day of my walking event, but now that I look it up, I see that it is this Friday, Sept 21st - which makes a difference!) Anyhow, to wait until the new phone comes out, and do without a phone, or go out and buy a iPhone 4S, which would essentially be "old tech".

These are the very specific champagne problems I have. :)

Once I was in my car, I was surprised to see that the phone still worked. There were just shards of glass covering the back now.

So now, I thought I should go to some phone store and buy a new case that covers the back. That should work for a couple of weeks, right?

Well, lucky for me, my husband had a better idea: let's fix it with Duct Tape!

Yep, that's my husband - Mac Gyver Dick!

So, that's what we did. Dick masterfully took two pieces of Duct Tape, and fixed my phone right up! He even made sure to leave a little opening for the camera lens and flash. :)

I was quite pleased with the final product, and I think it'll hold me over for several weeks now. I told Dick that it even looks kind of "artsy"! :)

On that note, while we were out with some friends today, a few of them noticed the back of my phone. I explained to them what had happened, and they said that before, they just thought I had some kind of cool case on it. :)

Dork that I am, I asked Dick to take a photo of my camera with his camera so that I could document this. I know - totally geeky.

Here we have the before:

Shattered back of my iPhone

...and the after:

Duct Tape fix-all! MacGyver strikes again!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

MacGuyver could make a bomb out of hand lotion and tampax.

Trina said...

indeed, Ilene!