Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Last night's figure drawing session

I'm happy to say that last night's figure drawing session was one of my best yet. It started off a little iffy, but eventually, I loosened up and found my groove.

The model that we had last night is one that we've had a few times already, and the one that seems to be the most natural for me to draw. My friend, Miguel, was drawing again last night, and thought the same thing. For some reason, it is easier for both of us to draw her versus some of the other models that we've had.

I changed things up just a little bit last week. I showed my drawings from the last several sessions to my painting instructor, Dean last week. He suggested that I try using more than one pencil - mix up my use of harder and softer charcoal pencils in order to get lighter and darker values. He also suggested drawing a line, and filling that in as a shadow, as a different technique for shadowing. I tried both suggestions, and I think I got good (or at least better) results with them.

I think my hands and feet are getting better (and have certainly improved from when I started a few weeks ago), and my faces are starting to come along a little more.

here are some of my favorites from last night


10-minute pose.
I like this one a lot. I realize that I didn't draw much of a face, but I actually loved how the face was "suggested" here with a few lines. I know it doesn't match the rest of the body, but I kind of like that, too.



20-minute pose
This was a tough pose, and I was at a tough angle. I think I may have been a little off on my proportion of her legs on this, but it's hard for me to tell. Pretty happy with it overall, given the difficult challenges the pose presented.



20-minutes
This is probably my most favorite of any drawings that I've done so far since I started back at it a couple of months ago. I'm really happy with the form, and especially the shadowing, and look - there's a bit of a face in there, too!



20-minutes
I'm pretty pleased with this one, too. I like the variations of shadowing in this one and the form is decent, too.

No comments: