Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Seattle Move: Day One

Greetings from Seattle - well, Bellevue, to be exact.

Today was the first day of our big move! It was a looooong day, but very productive.

I woke up at 4:00 (actually, the alarm was set for 4:00, but I woke up at 3:30), had a 6:15am flight from SFO to SEA, landed around 8:15, and made it to our new apartment building by 9:15. I had a good and thorough walk-through of our new apartment with our leasing agent, which finished just in time at 11:00am, when the movers arrived! The movers came right on time (they were scheduled to arrive between 11:00 and Noon), and were finished by 1:00. Well, mostly finished. Unfortunately, they hadn't loaded ALL of our things into their truck. (our stuff was only part of a very large truck, for several different clients. They didn't quite get about 25 items/boxes from the large truck into our smaller, individual truck. No worries. They will be back tomorrow early afternoon, and I had plenty to unpack today. I spent the rest of the afternoon starting to unpack the boxes, as well as getting the orientation tour of our new building. Dick picked me up after he was done with work, and we just returned from a nice Italian Dinner. It was a long day, and I'm quite exhausted.

Tomorrow is another busy day. Comcast will come to set up Internet and Cable between 8:00-9:00am. I have a furniture delivery between 9:00-11:00, and another between 10:30 and 12:30. The movers are scheduled to return at 1:00 with the rest of our things, then sometime in the afternoon, I'm hoping that the company who built our crates for our art will come to uncrate my art, and take the crates away.

We're spending the week at a hotel nearby. Originally, the movers were scheduled to come between Tuesday and Thursday of this week. It was only Friday that I learned that they would be coming on the early side of our original plans. I'm thrilled that they were able to deliver most of our stuff today and the rest tomorrow - it'll give me more time to unpack and organize.

Oh, one more tidbit:
Our apartment complex surprised us with a nice "welcome gift": a bottle of wine, and a welcome bag. The bag was awesome - it contained a roll of toilet paper, a box of tissue, two small bottles each of shampoo and conditioner, a single use box of laundry detergent and fabric softener, and two small bars of soap. Everything you might need when you first move in, and haven't had a chance to unpack or shop! How nice and thoughtful!


Our "Welcome" gift from our apartment building


My check-box of boxes/items for the movers. Um, there's still quite a few missing!


Just for fun - the Gingerbread land at the hotel lobby in which we are staying. Cute!

No comments: