Thursday, May 23, 2013

Chinatown Painting: Session 6 - Completed


"Chinatown Treasure Hunt"
2013
oil on canvas
24" x 24"


So, it turned out that I did have a little more work to do on my Chinatown painting after all! It was smart to take a couple of days away from it, then look at it again with fresh eyes.

Based on the photos of the painting that I had shown Dick, he thought that the whole painting still needed to be a bit darker. I didn't disagree, and mentioned that to Dean. We decided to put a glaze over most of the darker sections of the painting, using Transparent Brown Oxide, which happens to be the same color that I used to glaze over the Woodward's Garden Painting. I think it worked well, and really made a significant difference. It made the whole mood of the painting darker, and more mysterious. :)

I also darkened the figure in the foreground by putting a black glaze over him.

The last bit of touches were adding a little bit of bright white to the bright lights in the painting. Just a little dab made a big difference.

Finally, I signed it, and framed it. Dean had ordered a frame from his framer, Frances, Tuesday afternoon. Miraculously, he had it made and delivered yesterday (Wednesday)! There's still wet paint on the painting, so I haven't had a chance to varnish it yet.

Anyhow, always happy to have another painting finished. Happy with how it turned out.


a view from the side, which shows the colors a little more accurately.


framed

As always, when I finish a painting, here are the progress photos from the last 6 sessions:


original photo
(photo by Miguel Ulloa)



session one


session two


session three


session four


session five


session six - complete

1 comment:

Celeste said...

This is an amazing piece of work, Trina. I'm proud to know you. Celeste