Monday, May 20, 2013

Chinatown Painting: Session 5. Maybe it's done?

I'm not positive, but I think I'm done with the Chinatown oil painting! I painting this afternoon with Dean, but will go again for another session on Thursday. Dean suggested that we wait until I see it on Thursday to decide whether it's done, or if I want to do any other little changes to it then.

Regardless, it's mostly done. I'm pretty sure. Any changes from this point would be very minor.
But, until it's signed, I'll refrain from saying that it's completely finished. :)

We did a lot on it today. I started by mixing glazes and applying the glazed colors to various parts of the painting. This was done to add a bit more depth and color. I mostly did glazes in yellow ochre, a mixed gray/blue, and burnt umber. I think it unified the colors throughout the entire piece, and made a big difference.

I also worked a bit more on all of the figures, especially the one in the foreground (who needed more detail, but not so much as to be distracting from the rest of the composition). I also cleaned up Dick (the middle figure) and gave him a little more detail. I realized that I had missed his right arm before! oops! :)

I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out so far. I'm especially happy with the different colors and shades in the alley street itself. I think that effect turned out nicely.

We picked a frame for it, which will be made to size within the next couple of weeks. I think it'll pull the whole thing together, and will really make it look complete.

Once it's "done, done" on Thursday, I'll post more photos of the final product, as well as the progress photos.












No comments: