Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Platelet donation - Apparently, it's my version of "Cheers"



I went in for a platelet donation again today. It's been since April 1st since I last went, which is a little long for me.

It's funny - I've noticed that last few times that I've been that everyone who works there knows me now. I walk in the door, and the person who checks me in at the front desk says, "Hi, Trina!". The person who takes me back to have my credentials checked also greeted me, and the people working the machinery also address me by name.

Now, I realize that I go several times a year, and I've been donating for several years now. However, the staff at the center changes all the time (they rotate between all the different blood centers in the area). It used to be that a different person would help me every time. There are certainly some people who I don't recognize (and vice-versa, of course) but I think that so many of them have helped me in that past, that most of them know me by now.

Plus, it turns out that I'm well-known for my platelet count. Again, my donation lasted only about an hour, and I was able to donate 3 units of platelets. I'm pretty sure the average amount is one unit, and it usually takes over 1.5 hours. I'm a platelet producing machine. :)

Anyhow, it's nice to go somewhere where people know you, and are always friendly.

Plus, I get a cookie at the end. :)

No comments: