Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Uh-oh. Sewer Problems

Blarg.

We came home in the early afternoon and discovered that the cover to the vent/sewer line from our house on the driveway/sidewalk had been lifted from the guck/liquid/sewage underneath.

Uh-oh.

We had assumed that this had happened because of the large amount of rainfall that we had earlier today. Thought the drain might be clogged, and in need of a cleaning.

I called Roto Rooter, who was able to come within a few hours.

Jessie, the Roto Rooter guy pushed his professional grade snake down the drain, and discovered early on that this was not a simple fix. He was able to get the snake down 15 feet or so (so far from our house, towards the main line) but he thinks that the main sewer/drain pipe might have broken/collapsed under the street.

If this is indeed the case, and it away from our property line, it would be the responsibility of the City of San Francisco, rather than us.

I put in a call to DPW (the Roto Rooter guy told me to tell them that this should be considered an emergency) and they are planning to send out a team either later tonight or first thing in the morning.

Bummer.

In the meantime, we've been told to use water (or anything that drains water) sparingly.

I'm really hoping that this is able to be fixed soon.






update
2/20/13

sewer line update: I *think* the problem has been resolved. I've been told that the DPW came out this morning and unclogged the drain, and that it should be fine now. (the frustrating part was knowing that they had come out, but hadn't let me know what the problem/resolution was.) I've been told keep an eye on the drain/system - hopefully, it's all okay. I'm going to take a shower now, and test out that theory. ;)

No comments: