Monday, February 04, 2013

Super Bowl Super Bummer

So, yesterday evening was the SuperBowl. I don't watch football. Growing up, I was the only one in the family who didn't. Just didn't get that gene.

However, the San Francisco 49ers were in the SuperBowl! I'm all for city team spirit, and would have loved to have seen the 49ers win! On a personal note, I know how happy it would have made my Dad, a 49er Faithful, probably since the 50s, SO happy to see his team take it all the way again.

Alas, it was not meant to be.

Dick and I were invited to a Super Bowl/Birthday party at Pete and Richard's house. For all the reasons above, we were very excited, and I managed to sit and actually watch the whole game. I sat next to Dick, who had to explain a few things here and there to me, but for the most part, I had a good general idea of what was going on.


Here we are, being spirited in our 49er colors!

I'll state the obvious, that the first half was pretty heinous. It was quite shocking, and I'm sure an embarrassment for the team. Then, right after the halftime show (Beyonce was pretty freakin amazing!), we all watched in shock when the Ravens made a 100 yard touchdown from the opening kick. (did I say that right?)

This is when I started taking to Facebook.
This is what I posted right after the Ravens scored their touchdown right after the second half started:


The bizarre power outage happened soon after that, right?
So, then we waited and waited, and I wrote another post:


Eventually, the lights came back on, the game commenced, and exciting things happened.
That was when I had a realization:


Obviously, I was doing something that was helping the team!
Word of my influence on the 49ers ability to play well began to spread, and other friends on facebook started to post about it, too! (This was actually from Pete, who was sitting mere feet from me, but we both thought it was pretty darn funny)


I can't remember exactly what happened next, but I think we had a bad play, that would have penalized us somehow, but a flag was thrown, and the play was somehow reversed. (this is how much I understand football)

Coincidentally (or was it?) I had accidentally spilled a small bit of wine on my lap during that play. Once I had that cleaned up, I refilled, and all seemed to go well again!


...and the 49ers kept on playing, and they were scoring, and doing so much better than in the first half! Word spread like wildfire, and more Facebook friends from all over were encouraging me to continue drinking!








Suddenly, we were down to the last 2 minutes of the game, and the 49ers were only 10 yards away from making a touchdown!


Sadly, it was not meant to be. All that wine consumption, and it didn't help the team win in the end. :(
I put the wine glass down, and started chugging down the water.


Even though I did all I could do, apparently it wasn't enough.


By bedtime, the wine had caught up with me, and it wasn't pretty.
That's right - I took one for the team, and I'd do it again! ;)


It really was a very exciting game, and it's really too bad that the Niners couldn't pull out that last touchdown in the end.

Thanks, Pete and Richard, for having us over for a very fun party. Thanks to all my friends on Facebook for the fun comments and posts. It was fun watching the game with you.

And one more thing: Dad, I'm very sorry that your team didn't win. They had a great season, and I'm sure they'll be great again next year!!

No comments: