Monday, February 04, 2013

I'm a Platelet Producing Machine

I donated platelets at the Blood Center again today. I generally try to go once a month or so. As a platelet donor, you can donate every two weeks, versus every two months for whole blood donations.

I've been told just about every time I donate that my body produces an unusually large amount of platelets. We don't know why, but my platelet count is consistently high.

I've been donating platelets for two or three years now (and started donating whole blood seven years ago). Since my platelet count is so high, they usually set the machine up so that I donate two units of platelets in roughly an hour. From what I understand, most people donate one unit of platelets, and that donation will usually take 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours.

Today, I was informed that I'd be doing a triple unit donation. To clarify, this means that my platelets will be able to be used by three individual patients!! Very exciting! The donation took about an hour, as usual. I'm not sure how the process is changed in the machine, but they base it in your platelet count from your previous donation (in my case, four weeks ago).

I'm so happy that my platelets are able to generate so quickly, and are able to be used by those who need them. It's such a great thing to be able to do. :)

No comments: