Monday, February 25, 2013

Today's painting session: a furry friend, mixing pigment, and making progress...

I had a painting session a little earlier this week, and what a great session it was!

First of all, I was greeted at the front door by a very friendly and cute dog named Lukie! Dean and Jose are dog-sitting for a friend, so I got to hang out with a furry friend all afternoon.


Lukie on my lap!

Today's lesson revolved around color again. At the end, Dean taught me how to mix pigment with linseed oil to make paint! Super cool! When mixed directly from the pigment, the colors can be darker and richer than out of the tube. We mixed a yellow ochre and a black. We also made a glaze out of the mixed black and brown paints.


mixing the yellow ochre pigment with linseed oil


black and yellow ochre - very different textures


adding liquin to a little black to make a glaze

I started off glazing the entire background, and the pots of my painting. This helped to change the tone of the whole painting, and it now is much more accurate to the tone in the original photo. The darker colors in the background really helps the foreground to pop out a lot more. I also did more detail work on the main figure, as well as the counter on which she's working.

I was very pleased with the amount of progress achieved this afternoon. I felt it came a long way from the last session, and is looking much more complete. There's still plenty to do - next time, I'll work on the secondary figure to give him just a little more definition, and work on counter items more.

Always exciting to see the progress!


Woodward's Garden Painting: Session 5

No comments: