Thursday, February 14, 2013

Good progress in my oil painting of Woodward's Garden



I had another painting session today, and I think I made some good strides on my latest oil painting.

The first think I did was to mix large batches of the wall color, then make a darker, and darker version of them. This enabled me to repaint the walls and have the colors and tones be (more or less) even. That helped tremendously.

I worked on the main figure next, adding some red into her skin tone, which gave her a much better complexion, and warmed her up. I continued adding some color and lights and darks to her, and to the guy behind the bar. Dean came in and helped me a bit with adjusting both figures a bit, which made a tremendous difference. It's amazing and so helpful to watch him - he adds just a stroke here or there, and big changes happen.

After the figure was worked on, I worked on darkening the tone of the entire painting a bit more. It made a big difference.

The last thing I added today was the pot rack. This was a biggie, because if the angle is wrong, the whole thing would look incorrect. It was good timing, as I had my second lesson today on linear perspective, so this was good practice. :)

The first thing I'll work on during the next session is to add the pans/pots to the pot rack. That should be fun.

I'm feeling like I made good progress on the painting today - a bit of a breakthrough. Hoping it continues next week.

2 comments:

kimi said...

Lovely, Trina! It's progressing beautifully and so nice when a session goes productively. How do you choose your subjects? Will you have a show later this year? :)

Trina said...

thank you, Kimi! I'm looking forward to see what you are working on, too!!

I've been taking photos, and going through old photos to see what might make an interesting painting. Dick actually took this photo, at one of our favorite restaurants, thinking it might make a nice painting. :)

I'm not sure if I'll have a show this year, but I've been offered the amazing opportunity to have one piece shown (for sale) at the SF ArtMRKT in May. Pretty amazing opportunity, and I'm very excited!!

I'll keep you posted. xo