Thursday, February 14, 2013
I had another painting session today, and I think I made some good strides on my latest oil painting.
The first think I did was to mix large batches of the wall color, then make a darker, and darker version of them. This enabled me to repaint the walls and have the colors and tones be (more or less) even. That helped tremendously.
I worked on the main figure next, adding some red into her skin tone, which gave her a much better complexion, and warmed her up. I continued adding some color and lights and darks to her, and to the guy behind the bar. Dean came in and helped me a bit with adjusting both figures a bit, which made a tremendous difference. It's amazing and so helpful to watch him - he adds just a stroke here or there, and big changes happen.
After the figure was worked on, I worked on darkening the tone of the entire painting a bit more. It made a big difference.
The last thing I added today was the pot rack. This was a biggie, because if the angle is wrong, the whole thing would look incorrect. It was good timing, as I had my second lesson today on linear perspective, so this was good practice. :)
The first thing I'll work on during the next session is to add the pans/pots to the pot rack. That should be fun.
I'm feeling like I made good progress on the painting today - a bit of a breakthrough. Hoping it continues next week.