Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pots and Pans day on my Woodward's Garden painting

Well, I didn't get as much overall done on my painting today, but I did manage to start a pretty important component: today was "Pots and Pans" day on my Woodward's Garden painting. :)

The original photo that I'm basing this photo on is very dark, and a lot of the detail in it is lost. On of the things that Dean has taught me is how to use technology to help us see more detail. He opened the original photo in iPhoto and adjusted the brightness/contrast/levels to help me see more information. This was especially helpful for the pots and pans, which are so dark in the original photo. I also decided to eliminate one of the pots to help the image read better.

Here's the original image:


Here is a close-up of the pots and pans in the lightened version, showing much more detail.


The painting at the end of today's session:


I have to wait for the paint to dry, but I plan to darken the tone of the pots and pans during the next session so that they match the tone of the rest of the painting better. Once I do that, and refine them a bit, the pots and pans should fit in a bit more.

I also spent a little bit of time adding the third figure (seated in the background).

No comments: