Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Presenting: my first completed oil painting in 18 years!


Volland Raggedy Ann
2012
oil on canvas
12 x 12 inches


Horray! I've (finally!) completed my first oil painting in 18 years. Pretty exciting.

There wasn't much left to do today except tone down the color of her nose, add the red stripes to her stockings and add a little bit of a wash to lighten and darken some areas.

Overall, I'm so very pleased with the outcome of this painting, and most especially the process I learned along the way. This is a very different style from any other painting I've ever done. This one has a lot more dimension and depth. Although, I also realized that this may be my first real still life painting, too. Interesting!

I feel like I learned so much from Dean on my first project, and I am looking forward to continuing my lessons with him. He'll be away on vacation for a couple of weeks, so I'll be working on some studies at home until he returns.


The model and the completed painting

This was the first painting I've ever worked on where I took photos of each of the stages/sessions. I thought it would be fun to put them here in order of start to finish.


Session 1


Session 2


Session 3


Session 4


Session 5 - complete! :)

And now I'm finding myself a little nostalgic about this little doll. I looked back in my blog archives and found this post that gives a little bit of history about this particular Raggedy Ann doll, and the day that she came to live in my collection. :)

1 comment:

kimi said...

Trina!! This is so beautiful. She has such personality shining through and there is a gorgeous depth to the colors and palette. I know how special your Raggedy Ann collection is to you and the emotion really shines out. I absolutely love this painting and look forward to seeing many more oils from you. How exciting!