Tuesday, July 17, 2012

This week's figure drawing session

I attended my weekly figure drawing session last night. Miguel was able to join me again, so that made it extra fun. :)

We had a new model (to me) which was nice. She was really good, with a different body type than the last few models.

I'm attempting to draw with more contoured lines, rather than smaller, sketchy lines. It proved to be an interesting experiment.

Try as I may, I'm still having a heck of a time with faces. The hands and feet seem to be getting a little better though.

I'm especially happy with the first and the last of this grouping. The lines are cleaner and more simple. I question my proportions on the third photo - clearly, I made her thigh too large, but I remember thinking that's exactly how it looked at the time. :) Doesn't match up with the other drawings, though, but I'm putting it out there anyway.

I experimented with three different charcoal pencils last night: 4B (my usual staple), 2B and 6B. I think the 6B was used in the 4th drawing, and may be a little too soft for my taste. I'll try it again. In the same drawing (#4) I also played with highlighting a bit in white charcoal. unsuccessfully, but worth trying.

Listening to my friend, Ilene's comments from last week's session, I stopped blocking out the background in stark black. Instead, I chose to suggest the cloth or step that the model is sitting on to ground the figure within a space. I like those results.

Always a learning process! I'm so happy that Miguel was able to go with me again. It's so much fun to be able to discuss the process with him, and compare our drawings.


7 min


10 min


10 min


20 min


20 min

1 comment:

Miguel Ulloa said...

I'm so happy to have joined you, I find it that it's always better and more exciting to have a friend there with you to also share the experience.