Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Isn't She Lovely?

Isn't she Beautiful?

Introducing the newest addition to my Raggedy Ann family!

This little beauty was made by the P.F. Volland Company. They were the first manufacturers of the Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls. The first Raggedy Ann dolls were produced in 1918. I believe that this one was made in the early to mid 1920s.

Dick surprised me a few weeks ago by offering to buy me a Volland Ann as an early birthday gift. (I love my hubby!) We contacted my friend Andrew for advice, and eventually found this doll up for auction. I just received her in the mail a few days ago.

I'm very excited to have her as part of my collection. I met Andrew back in 1988 when he currated a museum exhibit at the Oakland Museum to celebrate Raggedy Ann's 70th Birthday. That was the first time I had ever seen another person's Raggedy Ann collection, and also the first time that I'd ever seen antique Raggedys dating back to the 20s. Secretly, (or not-so-secretly) I've always hoped to be able to have a Volland in my collection, but never actually thought it would happen. Dick really surprised me with his offer, and I'm so grateful!

The first day I got her, I unwrapped her from her packaging, and the two of us just sat and smiled at each other for a few minutes. (that sounds creepy, I know, but really, it wasn't)

She's in great condition, especially given her age. She certainly isn't in mint condition, but honestly, I prefer her this way: she's obviously been loved, and has gained a lot of personality and character from it. I think it makes her more "real", just like the Velveteen Rabbit! :) I believe that all of her clothing is original - she has little mother of pearl buttons on each article of clothing, and they all match each other. She has a few "age spots" on her face and body, but really, at age 85, who wouldn't?

I think she'll be very happy here.

No comments: