Thursday, February 10, 2011

Plantar Fasciitis



What I originally thought might be a bone bruise on my heal, then thought might be a bone spur, turned out to actually be Plantar Fasciitis.

Bummer.

I went to a podiatrist today after my GP referred me there after seeing me yesterday. She thought the soreness that I've been feeling in my right heal for the last three months was probably a bone spur.

My podiatrist took some Xrays, and it turns out that I do have a couple of very small bone spurs. However, the larger problem, and probably the cause of those spurs is actually Plantar Fasciitis

The bad news is that all that walking I did last year took a wear and tear on my feet.

The good news is that my Podiatrist sent me home with lots of things that will help me try to alleviate it.

I've got a foot brace of sorts that I'm supposed to wear at all times, a prescription anti-inflammatory medication to take for at least a couple of weeks, several exercises and stretches, and a suggestion of what kind of insoles I should buy to put in my shoes. I also learned that I need to ice my foot/heal several times a day. Hopefully, all of these things will help my foot heal, or at least prevent it from getting worse.

Here's hoping!!



1 comment:

Meg said...

Oh, ugh. Planar Fasciatis is a royal pain. Things I learned when I had it:
1. Stretch, stretch, stretch, and then stretch some more. Stretch when you get up, stretch when you're bored, etc.
2. If you can't cope with a hard brace, google The Strasburg Sock. WONDERFUL contraption.
3. fill a 20 oz soda (or water) bottle with water, freeze it, then roll it on the bottom of your foot. massages and ices all at once.
4. Heels are not your friend, and neither (sadly) are hills.
5. Smartfeet insoles rock! They make them for dress shoes as well as athletic, and they last forever