Saturday, February 19, 2011

Dinner with Grandma Chow

My Dad and I were lucky enough to have Grandma offer to cook us dinner on Thursday evening. What a treat!

She made a steamed fish (tilapia), bok choy, steamed chinese sausage, half a steamed chicken, and soup. It was really quite a spread for only the three of us!

I often enjoy watching my grandma cook during various family gatherings, but it's rare to have one-on-one time with her in the kitchen. She offered to teach me how to make her steamed fish, so I took notes on that dish as well as her bok choy.

For these recipes, she used two fillets of tilapia, and about 2 lbs of baby bok choy.

Grandma's Steamed Fish:

Drizzle fish with whisky on both sides
Add white pepper
Sprinkle with light amount of corn starch
Mix black bean sauce with soy sauce. Rub onto fish
Top with thinly sliced Ginger
Sprinkle with green onion
Marinate 1 hour
Steam for 10 minutes

Bok Choy

Slice Ginger thinly
Whole (3-5 cloves)smashed garlic
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Cook over med/high heat 2 min
Add Bok choy
Cook 3 min
add Garlic salt
Cook longer (depending on how soft you want the bok choy - maybe 2-4 minutes)
Add more oil (1 tbsp)
1 tsp sugar
Toss
Add 2 tbsp water
Cover
Cook longer til desired softness
3-5 min
Turn off heat
add 1 tbsp oyster sauce


Grandma preparing the fish


the fish as it marinades


(cute) Grandma making the baby bok choy


the steamed fish


Dad and Grandma with our dinner

I'm so grateful for the time that I'm able to spend with my Grandma. I especially love when we are able to have our one-on-one visits. I learn so much from her.

Thank you Grandma! I love you!

No comments: