Thursday, September 27, 2007

The nice man fixed my cat!

Several years ago, I bought this iron (I think) bronze cat statue for Dick for Christmas. It's an odd gift, but he loved it.

The cat stands on a small landing in the middle of our stairway. It gets bumped every-once-in-awhile by accident. Several weeks ago, I bumped it with the vacuum cleaner, and noticed that the binding between the cat's front paws, and the dish that it was holding was becoming loose. The next week, our contractor came over to start the bathroom remodel upstairs. He barely bumped the cat, and the dish toppled over. He was terribly embarrassed, probably thinking that that's not the sort of thing you want to have happen on your first day. I assured him that it was weakening already, and that he hadn't really done anything at all.

But, now I had a broken cat, and I wasn't quite sure how to fix it. Where does one bring a broken bronze cat statue? I didn't even know where to start.

Our plumber was here today, making some adjustments to the plumbing before the inspector comes. I noticed that he was working with a blow-torch for the copper pipes. Now, he's been here a few times to work on our bathroom, and we're on a friendly, first-name basis, so I thought I'd just put it out there....

I asked, "Do you think you could fix my cat with your blow-torch?" (What a funny question) He looked at it, saw how it broke, and said he wasn't sure if the copper would fuse together with the other materials, but he would give it a try.

Needless to say, he was able to fix my cat!

Thank you Mr. Plumber! My cat and I are much happier now.

No comments: