Thursday, September 06, 2007

Dear Apple: "Good on ya!"

..as Christopher would say...

So, yeah, Apple made the big announcement yesterday about the new line of iPods. No surprise there, and they look very, very cool. (said the girl with a nearly 4-year old iPod.)

They also announced that they're dropping the price of the 8GB iPhone from the whopping $599 original price to $399.00. Two hundred bucks off - that's a big difference!

Surprisingly, I was okay with this. I mean, I wasn't shocked. I knew it was coming, I just figured it had a few more months until the price dropped. But honestly, I've been so overwhelmingly happy with my iPhone, which I've had now for 8 weeks. I feel like I've already gotten my money out of it. I know it's only been 8 weeks, but the amount of time that I've used this phone already (vacation in NC, overnight hospital stay) is actually worth the 200 bucks to me. (and that's a big statement, since I'm generally such a budget-minded shopper!)

I just saw this Letter from Steve Jobs to all iPhone owners on Apple's site. Basically, there's been some anger among the early adopters that we, the faithful, paid $200 more than the new price. This letter states that all iPhone owners who are not receiving a rebate (who's getting a rebate?!) will get a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product online, or at any Apple Retail Store. Details are still being worked out, and they will post it on their site next week.

Kudos to you, Apple. You're doing the right thing, and keeping your loyal fans happy.

No comments: