Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Toad the Wet Sprocket and Counting Crows Concert at Marymoor Park

Last night, I went to my second concert at Marymoor Park! Dick and I had such a great time last month at the Steely Dan Concert that we came home after to see what other groups were playing this summer that we might like to see.

I figured it out immediately - Toad the Wet Sprocket and Counting Crows - two bands from the mid-90s that I enjoy very much. I saw Toad the Wet Sprocket once before - I believe in 1994. When I posted a stats update on Facebook about that last night, I originally said it had been 10 years since I last saw them. Then it occurred to me that 1994 was not 10 years ago (although it often feels like it). Nope. It was TWENTY years ago. Oy.

Unfortunately, Dick wasn't feeling well last night, so he decided at the last minute that he wasn't up to going. Lucky for me, my friend Gina just moved up from the Bay Area a couple of weeks ago, and was free and happy to go with me.

We had a ball. We missed the opening band, but made it in time for Toad the Wet Sprocket, who played for about an hour. It was really great to watch them live. They released a new album earlier this year, which I've been listening to over the last 2 weeks to I'd be familiar with their new songs. Really great!!


Gina and Trina


Toad the Wet Sprocket!


View of the full stage


another close up of Toad

Toad the Wet Sprocket played for about an hour. Between sets, we walked over to the food trucks to get dinner. While we were line for the Grilled Cheese Sandwich truck, I was surprised by my friend, Debra!! Debra is a friend from High School, who has lived up in this area for over 20 years. We caught up over lunch just last month. I love that we ran into each other at a concert! I'm feeling more and more like a local here. :)

Unfortunately, the line for the food truck, and then waiting for our food to be ready took a very long time. Counting Crows took the stage and started before we were able to get back to our seats. I'm guessing we missed 2 or 3 songs. (The grilled cheese sandwiches were really good, though!)

Once we were back in our seats, we really enjoyed listening to the Counting Crows! These guys are AMAZING live! The lead singer, Adam Duritz, has an incredible voice. Not only is it instantly recognizable, but it is very strong, and he just sound amazing. They played for a full two hours, with the concert finishing around 10:00. It rained for the last hour or so. I came prepared with my lightweight rain jacket, which was good, but honestly, the rain just added to the whole experience. The crowd was really into the music, and no one seemed to mind the rain at all - it is Seattle, after all! It was a warm night - still in the high 70s. Really great.


Gina, Trina and Debra


Counting Crows


Spotlight on Adam Duritz







One last thought - both bands are from California. I hadn't known that until I looked it up later. I noticed during the evening that both bands had several songs referencing California. Makes me happy. :)

No comments: