Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The lost art of the hand-written note



Without a doubt, one of my closest friends between 8th and 10th grade was Sherilyn Lee. We were two giggly girls, had many classes together, and shared countless hours of laughs. We also passed notes to each other before/during/after class. Now that I reminisce of all those notes, I wonder how we left any time in class to learn anything at all.

Sherilyn (that's Sheri, or simply "Bear" to me) is still one of my dearest friends. 30 years later, we can't help but fall into laughter most of the time that we're together.

My friend Sheri is one smart cookie. She's an engineer, and a published poet and writer. She's also a referee for Women's Roller Derby. She pretty much kicks ass. :)

Sheri and Grant spent a few days here in Bellevue with us last month. We had a ball together, as usual.

Imagine my delight this morning when I checked my postal mailbox, and found an envelope with her unmistakable handwriting. Inside: a three page, hand-written letter. My Bear is bringing back Old School, and it simply made my day!

I was instantly transported back to junior high: seeing her handwriting, written in the familiar blue ink of a Papermate pen, on the binder paper that we always used. It was a blast from the past, and it was fantastic.

Thanks for the hand-written thank you letter, my friend. Truly, you made my day, and brought a smile to my face. xo

No comments: