Thursday, May 10, 2012

Italy: Day 11 - a Venetian Glass souvenir and the Day I met another Trina!

Dick and I don't generally shop much when we travel, but every once in a while, we find something that really peaks our interest. The area between the Santa Maria della Salute and the Peggy Guggenheim Collection had a lot of smaller, artisan shops - much less touristy than most parts of Venice that we'd been through. We found a small store/studio where an artist named George was making glass jewelry. I don't wear a lot of jewelry, but his work really struck me. He had gorgeous (and huge!) rings, bracelets, pendants and earrings. I chose a small, simple pendant with blues and greens fused with gold leafing. It is on a small, simple silver chain that shows the artistry of the glass well.

When he sold it to me, he had me promise that I would keep my blue hair because it compliments the blue and green in the pendant so well. :)

As we were finishing our transaction, he asked me my name. When I told him it was "Trina", he had a very strong reaction of disbelief! He told me that his wife's name is Trina, and that he's never met another! :)

His wife (the "Other Trina") is also an artist and works at shop a few doors down. He was getting ready to meet her for lunch, so he walked us over do the two Trinas could meet. :)

Trina is originally from Cincinnati, although she was lived in Venice for over 20 years. She's about 4 years younger than me, and was named after a Trina in a Joni Mitchell song. Does anyone know the song to which she was referring?

Dick took this photo of me with Trina and her husband, George. Around my neck, you can see the small glass pendant that George made that we had just purchased. Yet another fun little story from our Italian Vacation. :)

No comments: