Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Breaking in New Walking Shoes

It's that time of the year again - time to break in the new walking shoes!

For the last two years, I have had two pairs of shoes which I alternate between during the walking season. Last year, I trained well over 300 miles before the actual event, which was 60 miles. I have no idea how many additional miles I've put on them since September. I probably average about 10 miles a week or so from my regular weekday walks.

I've read a few reports that say walking/running shoes should be replaced every 350-550 miles. I've certainly put at least that much into each of my shoes from last year.

Since I started seriously walking two years ago, I have bought one pair of the same shoe each year - the Ecco Biom Walking Shoe. I've been a fan of Ecco for several years, and these walking shoes have worked out really well for me this year. I spoke with a store rep once and he informed me that these shoes were intended to last up to 1200 miles. I know that I haven't walked that many miles in either pair that I've owned, but certainly more than 600. With that in mind, once I've retired my shoes, I have noticed that the shoe itself (body/construction) is still in good shape. It's just that I have worn down the soles of the shoes so that they no longer have good traction.

So the bad news is that the ECCO Biom Walking Shoes for Women line has changed since I ordered last year. They still have the line, but they have new styles/colors. That's to be expected, but I was so happy with my last two pair.

The good news is that they are still available on amazon.com, so I bought two pair (as back-up for the future). Extra special bonus: They were on sale 29% off!! ($55!) That's super exciting!


Old pair on left, new pair on right


Comparing the soles of the old and the new

No comments: