Monday, January 09, 2012

I am not an orchid killer after all! :)

Well, this is a first (for me)!

I've received a few lovely orchid plants as house-warming gifts last April. They all kept their pretty blooms for a few months - I think the last one fell in October or so.

I've never had good luck with these plants, but with so many (4 in total) I felt compelled to do my best to take good care of them. I called my friend, Andrew, who gave me a simple tip (water them once a week) to try to keep them alive and (hopefully) bloom again!

I've had a few orchid plants in the past, and invariably, they end up looking like "Stick Plants" (as Spencer calls them) and eventually die (I think) and get the boot.

This time, I'm determined to see what will happen if I make a habit to take care of them regularly. They are all doing relatively well - the individual plants are healthy and growing, but for 3 of them, there's not much more going on.

...but ONE of them has re-sprouted!!

I noticed about a month or so ago that a second branch had started to grow off of the main branch, and soon, small little buds started to grow!! Woot!

The fact that I haven't killed these plants is already amazing enough, but the fact that one of them has started to sprout buds again just amazes me!


The growing orchid plant in December

Today, I noticed that the first orchid flower had sprouted - hopefully, the first of many!


Welcome, first orchid flower of the second round!

I know this isn't really a big deal, but I'm really getting a kick out of it! I'm hoping the other plants will learn to follow suit. (although, they aren't looking nearly as likely to bloom anytime soon.)

No comments: