Monday, January 23, 2012

Gung Hay Fat Choy!!



Happy Chinese New Year! It's the year of the dragon!!

We went to Stockton Saturday evening for a (slightly) early celebration with the family.

Earlier that day, I did my annual routine of going to the bank and asking for brand new $5 bills. Sometimes, they have them, sometimes they don't, but when I explain that I need them for Chinese New Year, they always understand, and do the best they can to accommodate.

In our culture, it's traditional for married couples to give red envelopes (Lai See) with paper currency in them (the dollar amount can vary) to all of the children in the family. I think it's extra good luck if the bills are new, but I could be making that up. ;)

In my family, the recipients of the Lai See can be of any age, as long as they aren't married. For example, I still received Lai See in my early 30s before Dick and I were married.

As we were driving to Stockton this weekend, I assembled all of my Lai See. I told Dick that although this may sound funny, this is one of the things in life that reminds me that "I'm married". I know it's a little thing, but for so many years, I was a recipient of the Lai See envelopes, and now I'm one of the ones passing them out. It's hard to explain.

Anyhow, I passed out my Lai See to my cousins, my cousin's daughters (my nieces) and my Sister and her boyfriend (because that always makes us laugh).

Happy Year of the Dragon, everyone!
May it be filled with Good Health and Good Fortune for all! :)

No comments: